A washing machine should last between 11 and 14 years.
But, once the washing machine starts having problems, then it is the time to consider if it is worth to repair it or if it would be better to buy a new one.
To help you, the information that we are sharing on this page should help you to make an informed decision.
TABLE OF CONTENTS – QUICK NAVIGATION
The electricity usage and the water cost are the first two parameters that should be taken in consideration for taking replace or repair decision.
The electricity usage of the washing machine it is the first parameter to consider before making the ‘Repair Vs Replace’ decision.
This is because the newer washing machine models are much more efficient than washing machines from 8 or 10 years ago and their electricity usage is much lower.
And it may worth to but an energy efficient washing machine that is going to save money on electricity year over year, rather than paying and expensive repair bill for an old model washing machine.
For the new washing machine models, it is quite straightforwards to find the electricity usage and the electricity cost.
In most cases, it is possible to find the washing machine energy efficiency label on the shops, displayed on the appliance, or by browsing for them on the internet.
Once we know the power consumption per year, and how much we are paying to our electricity provider per kWh, it is quite simple to find out the electricity cost.
– If the washing machine is using 130 kWh of electricity per year
– If the user is paying 0,217 euro, dollars, pounds… per kWh
– The yearly electricity cost for using the washing machine is a little over 28 euro, dollar, pounds…
But for older washing machine models, it may take a few more steps to find the electricity usage and electricity cost.
Still, even for older washing machine models, the power consumption must be displayed on a label attached to the device. And, usually, the power consumption of older washing machine models will be displayed in Watts.
But once we know the power consumption, it is also quite simple to find out the electricity usage.
There are two ways to find out a washing machine water consumption.
The first one it is to browse on the internet for the washing machine specifications. It is as simple as to use your favorite browser to search for the washing machine model followed by ‘specifications’ or ‘ water consumption’.
The second way is to take the water meter readings before and after a washing machine cycle:
– Take note of the counters from your water meters
– Start the washing machine and make sure that during the whole cycle nothing else than the washing machine is using water
– After the cycle is finished, take again note of the counters from you water meters
– Substract the values and you will know how much water was used by the washing machine
If you are not sure how to read a water meter, we have prepared a YouTube video that should be of help.
Once you know the water usage per cycle, it is quite simple to calculate the water usage and water cost.
To use the calculator you need to know how much you are paying for cubic meter, cubic gallon or any other water measurement unit that it is used in your country.
– If the washing machine is using 10 litres of water per cycle
– If the washing machine is used 250 times a year
– If the water cost cost is 2 euro per cubic meter.
– The yearly water cost for using the washing machine is a little over 5 euro, dollar, pounds…
From the electricity and water usage standpoint, the calculator below can help you with making the decision between replace or repairing the washing machine.
As show on the calculator, to buy a new washing machine it does cost a considerable amount of money, but:
– The cost of NOT repairing the old washing machine can be deducted from the cost of purchasing a new washing machine, and that can already decrease the new washing machine purchase cost considerably.
– As a new and more efficient washing machine is going to save electricity and water, this saving should be considered and deducted from the new washing machine purchase cost.
– And, going further, the new washing machine will be saving electricity and water for many years to come, so in the calculator we are taking the electricity and water savings for a 10 year time period.
But there are three other importance factors that also need to be taken in consideration, and it is the detergent usage, the life expectancy of the washing machine and the disposal cost.
High efficient washing machines do use much less detergent than old models.
Also, if you have soft water at home, you need even less detergent.
Hard water, scale and scum will accumulate in your pipes and in those appliances that regularly use water like kettles, washing machines or dishwashers, causing them to fail prematurely.
Additionally, hard water makes more difficult for the chemicals to dissolve leading to the need of having to use more a more chemicals, like detergent, just to get an effective clean.
And the negative effects of hard water will not only be limited to our appliances or chemicals but washing in hard water will leave soap behind causing dry skin and itchiness to the point that it may cause eczema symptoms to worsen.
If you want to know more, have a look our post Water hardness, soap scum and limestone: How they may be affecting our household and our health
If you detergent usage is very high and is costing you a lot of money, maybe it is time to consider to buy a more efficient washing machine.
It may be worth to make some research and find out how much money could you save on detergent when using a new and more efficient washing machine.
As mentioned at the beginning of this article, a washing machine should last between 11 and 14 years.
But, in this matter, the washing machine type and model are differentiating factors that will determine how long the refrigerator last.
– Cheaper comes with the quality downside and the washing machines tend to have more problems and have a lower life span.
– Some washing machine models are prone to problems, so it is worth to make some good research to avoid troublesome washing machines that may need to be changed in just a handful of years.
If your washing machine is near to the end of the life expectancy, it may be worth to just buy a new model instead of waiting for the old washing machine to start having problems.
Specially if a new washing machine will be saving electricity, water and detergent.
An in relation with the washing machine life expectancy, the disposal cost of a broken washing machine must not be forgotten, because the cost can be significant:
– To dispose a washing machine can cost between 20 to 50 euros or US dollars.
If the washing machine starts giving problems, even if they are small, it may be worth to dispose of it while it stills works.
There is not much market for second hand washing machines so selling most probably will not be an option.
Still, if the washing machine is still in working conditions maybe someone will be interested on coming and collecting it at no cost.
On the expanded washing machine repair or replace calculator we also consider:
– The money saved by the new washing machine on detergent
– The old washing machine disposal cost
– The value of the old washing machine when sold on the second hand market.
Here we are assuming that you have decided to sell your old washing machine on the second hand market and you are going to get some little cash out of it.
Also, once sold on the second hand market, someone will come to collect the old washing machine and that you will be saving have to pay for disposal if you wait for the old washing machine to break down.
So, according to our calculator, a new washing machine does cost 550 euro, dollars, pounds… but we applying the following savings:
– Money saved by not repair the old washings machine.
– Money saved by the new washing machine on electricity and water over a 10 years period.
– Money earned by selling the old washing machine on the second hand market.
– Money saved by not having to pay disposal costs
– Money saved by the new washing machine on detergent.
Then the purchase cost of the new washing machine is reduced from 550 to 145 euro, dollars, pounds…
When making your calculations you may want to consider the worst case scenario, in which you pay for the old washing machine repairs and after one or two years it breaks down for good.
Then, you will need to pay for the old washing machine disposal and still have to buy a new washing machine.
It depends on the individual circumstances but it may be worth to replace an old washing machine before it breaks or starts giving trouble.
If the repair cost is very high and the washing machine is close to its average life expectancy, most probably it would be a better approach to buy a new one.
We hope that our calculators will support you with making a decision.
For more information the electricity and water usage of a washing machine or how to find out the power or water consumption, visit our ‘Washing machine electricity calculator’ and ‘Washing machine water calculator’ pages by clicking on the images below.
Buying an energy effcient appliance or device is going to save electricity, water and decrease your energy and water bills, but at what prize?
Find out if you have paid a reasonable prize for that efficient device or appliance.
This site contains affiliate links and we will earn an affiliate commission for any purchase you make, without any cost to you.
All content found on this website is intended for informational and educational purposes only.
The content is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice or consultation.
© 2022 Effiworkx. All rights reserved