What is standby power cosumption
♦ Standby power consumption it is the power used by a device or appliance when the are not in active use. ♦
Those appliances and devices that draw power while in standby mode are also called vampire loads or phantom loads.
Many devices, like TVs or microwave ovens, remain in standby while not in active use to they can be quickly put back into use.
This is, instead of having to wait a few seconds so the device can go through the power on cycle, the device can be put back into use instantaneously because it was never completely powered off.
The standby power consumption it is relatively low but low power consumption over long periods of time can quickly amount to a considerable cost.
Now that you have learnt what standby power consumption is, consider your options to reduce or eliminate that waste of electricity and money:
- Switch your devices off while they are not in use
- If your appliance or device has an ECO function, make sure that it is enabled
- Use a power strip to power off several standby devices with the flick of a single switch
- Use a smart power strip to measure and control the standby loads
- Use a visually friendly smart socket to avoid unnecessary standby times
Standby power consumption calculator
The calculator below can be used to calculate the cost over time of a device or appliance kept in standby mode during long periods of time.
How to save electricity at home
If you are looking for additional tips and advice on how to save some electricity, have a look to this video that we have prepared about this very same topic.